For New Teachers Before Reporting To School

It’s near the end of the year & very soon a new academic year will begin for Malaysian national schools.
As a newly trained teacher, I’m sure there are many of you out there who are excited & eagerly anticipating your first year at school.
Some of you have received your placement/posting letters. Some have not.
Whether it is one or the other, you have better start preparing for your placement NOW.

Things to Bring
Here are some certificates that should be handed to your Ketua Jabatan (Headmaster/Principal). Original AND photocopy.
  • All your Secondary School & Tertiary co-curricular certificates
  • Academic certificates & transcripts (PhD/Masters/Degree/Diploma/STPM/SPM)
  • Birth certificate
  • Identity card
  • Placement letter (If available)
  • KWSP details (If available)
  • Income tax details (If available)
  • Marriage certificate (If available)
  • BTN certificate (if available)
  • KISSM certificate (If available)
  • Bank Account Book
Some of the documents mentioned above are foreign to you so I will attempt to explain their significance.

Academic Certificates
Since you have been offered a job as a teacher, I assume that your degree is acknowledged by  JPA (Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam).
If your academic certificates are in a language other than Bahasa Malaysia, it has to be translated by JPA.
My degree is in English but it was from a scholarship with KPM so I did not have to translate mine.
Just to be safe, you should translate your certificates AND the accompanying transcripts.
Find the contact details for JPA here.

For those of you who have completed your degree but have yet to attend your convocation, you may submit an unofficial transcript.
Your official transcript will only be given to you along with your degree.

Placement Letter
These letters will be sent to your provided mailing address from the JPN (Jabatan Pelajaran Negeri) of the state you will be posted in.
In the case where your placement is announced close to the date for reporting, the letter may be sent to your school.
Besides revealing the details of your placement, your placement letter will also have your JPN Number.
TAKE NOTE of this number.
It will be used throughout your civil service in the state.

KWSP/EPF (Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja/Employees Provident Fund) Details
This can come in the form of an annual statement with your KWSP number printed on it.
If you do not have KWSP, I suggest you sign up for it asap.
You will not enter the pension scheme immediately so your salary will be deducted into KWSP until then.
Get the location of your nearest KWSP office here.

Income Tax Details
Some of you may have been employed before & have had to settle income tax payments.
Your income tax number is what the school clerk needs so you should provide any letter from LHDN (Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri) that has your income tax number printed on it.
I do not have an income tax number so I have applied for it through my school clerk.

BTN (Biro Tatanegara) Certificate
Some IPGs (Institut Pendidikan Guru) would have arranged for their trainees to undergo a BTN camp at the end of their course.
If you have already attended BTN, 'semak' your status with your IC number here.
Then, print the page that indicates you’ve passed the course.
This is your BTN certificate.

If you have not attended BTN, report to the school BEFORE registering for it.

KISSM (Kursus Induksi Sistem Saraan Malaysia or kursus induksi) Certificate
Some IPGs would also have arranged for their trainees to undergo a KISSM course & exam at the end of their course.
If you have already attended KISSM, you should have a 'sijil kehadiran'.
Check with your IPG about this.

If you have passed the exam, you will receive a 'sijil kelulusan'.
I have been waiting for more than a year for mine.
I have checked with my IPG recently & was informed that it is still not ready.
The waiting game continues.
Until you receive it, use the 'sijil kehadiran'.

If you have not attended KISSM, report to the school BEFORE registering for it.
If you have attended KISSM but have yet to receive any certificates, WAIT. When you do get one, hand it in IMMEDIATELY.

Bank Account Book
Bring all the books for every bank account that you have. If possible, make 1 or 2 copies of each of them.
Some schools will prefer certain banks. You wouldn't know until you speak to the kerani kewangan.
As for Maybank account holders with paperless accounts (who do not have books), print your latest statement from the internet. Make sure that your name & account number is clearly visible in the print.

Sharing Is Caring
Lastly, if you found this blog post useful for your preparation...
Share it with your coursemates & juniors.

I haven't had the privilege of such information so I know how it feels to go in blind & insecure.
Teachers need to support each other. Sharing is caring!

Popular posts from this blog

What To Do When Your Unifi Service Suddenly Drops

Understanding The New SPM (2021) English 1119 Paper Format

The Millennial Trains Project: A Transcontinental Conference On Tracks

How To Fix Logitech Options Not Loading

A Review of Mosquito Coils In The Market