The Disappearing Text - No Prep ESL Activity
This is one of my favorite post-reading activities & students of all ages enjoy it too. The best part is it engages your students for 20+ minutes & it's No Prep! Try it with your students next week & let me know how it went! =)
Skills Engaged: Reading, Pronunciation, Memory, Writing, Grammar, & Spelling.
Materials: whiteboard, marker, & eraser
Step by step:
- After reading a passage, elicit the sequence of events into a summary of about 5-10 sentences written on the whiteboard.
- Read the summary chorally.
- Randomly erase 4-8 words (depending on the length of your summary) & underline the blank where the words used to be.
- Read the summary again & see if students can still remember the words that were erased.
- Ask for volunteers & allow each to erase 2 words & underline the blanks until another 4-8 words have been erased.
- Repeat steps 4-5 until there are enough blanks to challenge your students but not too much to discourage them. You will know this when the pauses during choral reading get longer & longer.
- Have students write down in their notebooks what they can remember. The teacher can do so too & have the students check your work.
- In pairs, students to check each other work & maybe even your work.
- Finally, fill in the blanks on the whiteboard together as a class & have students write the complete summary down in their books.