Presented at Celebration of Teaching
|One of the five groups I've shared with!|
Well done, guys! Special thanks to Taiwanese TV teacher, Ping, for encouraging me to submit my presentation proposal!
The Reading Activity:Here is the Reading Activity that I shared. I hope that it's useful to you!
Features: provides a purpose for reading the passage & an incentive for reading in detail, Communicative, Collaborative, & Multiple Intelligences.
Desired outcome: Students produce a visual representation of what they knew before reading & what they learned from the passage.
Materials: flip-chart paper & markers
1. Reveal the title of the reading passage to students.
2. Instruct them to write down everything that they know about the topic & make predictions on the content. They will record all their ideas on a mind-map with words/pictures.
1. Instruct students, while they're reading, to double check the ideas they've written in the mind-map.
-Tick ideas that were true.
-Cross ideas that were false.
-Question mark ideas that were not addressed by the article.
-Write down new ideas that you've learned & mark them with a star.
2. Distribute the passage & let them read it.
1. Instruct students to share their mind-maps with the rest of the class. Pay special attention to the ideas marked with a question mark. Ask them to explain why they thought of that.
2. Students can address the ideas marked with the question mark as homework & talk about it during the next class.
3. Move on to other post-reading activities: comprehension questions, role play, written response, etc.